Monday, April 18, 2011

30 Days of Genre, Day6- Most Annoying Character

Ah, another easy one. Thomas Covenant, hands down. When I first started reading fantasy, everyone said: "Oh, you have to read Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books." So I went out and found all six of them. I picked up Lord Foul's Bane and began. Not even 100 pages in, I put it down. Fast forward a few years. I pick it up again, thinking some time has passed and I'll give it a try again. Same thing- not far into it and can't go on. Repeat a few more times, and I just decided they are not for me.

Why? I cannot stand Thomas Covenant. I mean, I get it, fella. You kind of got the short end of the stick, what with the leprosy and all that. Can't be easy, I understand that. But do you have to whine incessantly about it? All I hear in my head when I read (the little I have read) that book is that high-pitched, drony three year old's voice whining: "But I don't wanna take a nap!" And it grates on my nerves. Unendingly.

It isn't even the fact that he's got psychological isssues and is a dark hero. There's one book I've read since that has a character that is quite the psycho type (in a different way) and has some real deep issues as well, but that one, I can't forget. But that's a post for another day. It's the voicing. I have never liked whiners and to me, that's how Covenant comes across. It's not that way for everyone, I know, but I guess that's what makes all readers different, and why there are so many books out there.

Maybe I am missing a truly good series of books, but when the main character's voice makes me gnash my teeth in annoyance, well, I think I'll just have to miss that.

Apologies to any Donaldson and Covenant fans out there. Just not my cuppa.

No comments: