Saturday, November 6, 2010

Inspiration and the Late Nightcap

2:04 AM, Saturday, November 6, 2010

No, I'm not writing.  I'm not sleeping ,either.  Not sure why that is.  I was blazing tired when I went to bed a number of hours ago.  At any rate, I am sitting here with a drink (Oh,ok, single malt Scotch with two ice cubes, if you must know), thinking about the current NaNo project, and trying to figure out why I can't get a grip on where the story is going.  Oh, I have a vague idea of the main conflict, and a sub-conflict or two, but the charaters' progression, well, now, that's a whole other thing, isn't it?  And it came to me that this is the crux of the issue for me, as always.  I am character driven, whether reading or writing.  If I can't engage with at least one character, I just can't get into a story.  I've given up on some (reportedly) really good stories, because none of the characters got to me.  Heck, I've given up on one very popular series because I simply can't stand the main character, and don't give a #$%& what happens to him!

So back to NaNo: the second main character in my story was a ghost to me until now.  Not a literal ghost- those don't come in till later!  I just had no clue who he is or what he does or how it all connects.  I know he knows my main character's father, and the father will drive a lot of the main action conflict, but I couldn't get a handle on this guy.  Until tonight.  I was sitting here, sipping my drink, and hoping I'd get tired enough to go back to sleep, when it hit me.  I know what he does and how it relates to the story!  A little web searching and I've got him far more defined.  I also know how we get away with having the father in a sort of suspended animation state (research facility, you know), and how we link the paranormal, psychic aspect in.  Ta-da!  I feel progress on the horizon tomorrow!

Not that I endorse late night Scotch drinking as an everyday method of finding inspiration when the well runs a bit dry, but it worked for me!  Here's to a nice glass of Writer's Block to get the words flowing again.  Slainte!

No comments: