Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Changing Yet Again

Update:
Yesterday: 2019
Total: 23179

Not quite caught up, but getting closer.  Feeling better about making it this year.

Well, the dog of a story I started has been retired.  Even trying to convince myself that it was going to be a good experience, and help me learn to write better, and build some of the skills I need work on, all that- nope, still hated the thing, didn't want to work on it, kept falling more behind because of that.

Had a short email conversation with a friend who pointed out that there is really nothing wrong with finishing up with a different story than you started with.  Took me a bit to let that sink in, but I've decided to put the dog down, so to speak, and write what's been niggling at my head for a long time now.

Ok, yeah, it's fanfic.  I write one or two a year, anyway, just because I like playing in other people's worlds!  Who doesn't?  And I've got other "real" stories in progress, or in editing, or beta reading, so I think I am just going to indulge myself in this month of frantic writing and go for it.

And y'know what?  I am enjoying NaNo again.  It's fun to write this now.  Characters are speaking to me, plots are unfolding, my brain is churning.  I have to be a bit careful with this one.  It's kind of an extension of one of the stories that has been written by the original author.  It's my version of what happened, because there are two (that I know of) variants on the story.  The original leaves things a little open.  So I don't want to leave out anything that is stated as fact in the original, and at the same time, I don't want to just rewrite all of that, either.  It's been done, far better than I probably could, anyway. 

Which puts a lot of it out of order, as I think of things I need to deal with and keeps me on my toes when writing.  All good things, because if you can't get excited about what you are writing, how can you expect anyone else to?  And that's my point for today.

Now, off to do a bit of research, and then get that word count up!

Write. Now.

No comments: