Monday, October 26, 2009

NaNo Nesting

Or that's what I call it. anyway.  The urge to clean off my desk and surrounding area, tidy up the bookcases, empty the trashcan, and even vacuum that hits me right before NaNoWriMo starts.  I still have to figure out how to hang the corkboard and whiteboard.  I don't know if I will use them, I just know that if I don't get them up, it will bug me all month long.

Where does this urge to order my space come from?  I'm not sure.  Some of it is my very organization-oriented mindset, I know.  I like to know things are ready to go well before I need them.  When we are getting ready for a chili cook off, or a trip, or have visitors coming, I make lists and lists of things I need to do/get/accomplish.  Even daily chores are usually written out as a list.  It feels good to cross each item off!

I also think there is some creative energy at work.  I can't actually start writing, and the prep work just doesn't quite feel as satisfying.  I'm anxious for the actual "moment of birth."  So, much like a pregnant mother in the last weeks before the baby is born, I have the urge to collect all the stuff I think I need and have it all ready to go.  It's instinctual.  And a little crazy.  There's a little bit of mental teetering going on, and it gives me somehting to do.

So, for now, the desk is relatively neat.  It won't last.  Once November hits, there will be a pile of books- dictionary, theasaurus, reference books- next to the computer screen.  Print outs of bits and pieces will start to pile up.  I won't be able to find my glasses (not an uncommon problem, anyway).  But, for now, let's just enjoy the momentary look of a clean desk and an uncluttered space.

No comments: