Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Month of Letters



This is an idea I first saw talked about on Google+ by Mary Robinette Kowal. Basically, you write a letter and mail a letter a day during the month of February. It doesn't have to be a full-fledged letter- a postcard or other mail counts. If someone writes to you, and you write back, that counts, as well. Here's the website: A Month of Letters

Why? To reconnect with the idea of sitting down and hand writing as a form of communication. We've all gotten so wrapped up in Facebook, Twitter, email, texts, and all the other forms of electronic communication, that some of the pleasure of that communication gets lost, I think. I used to write to a pen pal (does anyone even use that term anymore?) a number of years ago, before email was something everyone had, and I remember truly enjoying opening the mail box and finding a new letter. Now, everyone complains that all they get is bills and junk mail. Well, here's a way to maybe make the trip to the mail a little more pleasurable, at least for a while.

Am I giving up on email, etc.? No, of course not. For many things, the ability to have a message delivered instantaneously is a good thing. But I also think that taking the time to sit and think about what I want to say to someone is a good thing, also.

So, want to try this? Let me know. Send me your address, in a comment here or via email if you prefer. (irishmak(at)thirtytwopaws(dot)com) I'll write you a letter or note at some point in February. I have a few set for the beginning of the month, but I'll get to you. Send me one, if you want:

Mary Alice Kropp
4 Rebecca Drive
Londonderry, NH 03053

And if I already have your address, don't be surprised to get a note or card from me this month!




No comments: